Find Clarity in Your Calls Part 1
Every once in awhile your conference call might be interrupted by unwarranted noise or static either from a problematic caller or a bad line. More often than not, it can be resolved and even eliminated.
Here are some things to keep in mind when hosting a conference and things start sounding less than clear:
The Power Of *6
Pressing *6 on your telephone will immediately mute or unmute your individual line. Even speakers/presenters can use *6 to mute the line when not speaking. If you or someone else on your call are on a cell phone, dialing from an international location, or in a room with other people, pressing *6 can eliminate your background noise.
If You Are the Speaker/Presenter use appropriate equipment.
- If possible, always use a phone with a handset that is hard-wired into the phone lines. Be sure to TEST the working condition of your equipment before an important conference call!
- Cellular, cordless phones or VOIP lines are more likely to cause static or other distracting noise that they pick up on the airwaves and public internet.
- Speakerphones pick up lots of background noise. In addition, your voice may drop off and not be heard because of the limitations of the equipment. If you require a speakerphone, use one that is full digital duplex which allows all parties to speak at the same time without sound drop-offs. Anytime no one is speaking, mute the speakerphone to eliminate possible noises such as paper shuffling, coughing or other disturbances. When someone needs to speak, simply UnMute the speakerphone.
It is best to use a headset with a quality microphone. Using a standard hand set (holding the phone with your hand) will cause variations in your sound volume due to the varying position of the microphone and your mouth. In addition, using a headset allows you to have both hands free.
Prior to your conference, or in your pre-conference, test the volume of your voice with another caller. If the volume is set too high your voice will sound distorted; if too low, you will not be heard clearly. If you must use a speaker phone, please call our customer service to perform a sound check. Most speaker phones do not have a quality microphone to pick up your voice clearly. Call us anytime to perform a sound check: 1.800.989.9239
ARE YOU “Getting the Most Out of Your Conferencing”?
With our weekly live web-cast we will showcase features which will help you get the most out of your conferencing.
20 short minutes to better conferencing:
- Star Commands and Dynamic Screen for live call control
- Pre-Conference and Lecture Mode
- Recording calls and Playback
- Question & Answer session with our conference experts