As Lisa writes, people procrastinate on processing the inbox. The unspoken dread factor allows it to slowly increase in volume, threatening to spill out and take over.
Why is it scary?
- You don’t know what’s in it. (There is nothing worse than the fear of the unknown.)
- It looks bigger than you.
- You think you know what’s in it, and it’s not fun.
Here are some tips for making processing painless…
- Integrate personal emails with your business emails so you have “treats” to look forward to.
- Don’t sort the entire inbox at one time, just focus on one at a time.
- Try to make it enjoyable. Brew a nice cup of coffee, listen to music and do it at a time when you’re typically relaxed.
Remember – the more organized you keep your inbox, the better you’ll feel. The better you feel, the better you’ll work.