As a manager or business owner it’s awkward having to give”constructive criticism.”
Here are some tips for making the process easier.
- Take a “breather” – Think through what you’re going to say. Try not to be emotional.
- Choose a private location – free from interruptions and curious bystanders.
- Get to the point – quick and painless is always best.
- Let them respond – to prevent misunderstandings and to understand the problem.
- Listen to what they say – and make sure you’re having a two-way conversation. When you actively listen you can brainstorm a better solution.
- Create action items – and be clear about your expectations. Outline measurable objectives and put them in writing.
- Give them a chance – to prove themselves. Change doesn’t happen overnight. Acknowledge improvements and provide coaching along the way.